O ye spirits, ye I conjure by the power, wisdom, and virtue of the spirit of God, by the uncreate divine knowledge, by the vast mercy of God, by the strength of God, by the greatness of God, by the unity of God; and by the holy name of God EHEIEH, which is the root, trunk, source, and origin of all the other divine names, whence they all draw their life and their virtue, which Adam having invoked, he acquired the knowledge of all created things.
I conjure ye by the indivisible name IOD, which marketh and expresseth the simplicity and the unity of the nature divine, which Abel having invoked, he deserved3 to escape from the hands of Cain his brother.
3. In the French, 'merita d`échapper.' -SLM. M276: "quod etiam Abel nominauit et meruit euadere manus fratris sui Caim." Aub. 24, reads "... quod etiam nominauit Seth, et meruit evadere manus fratris sui Caim" (which SETH having named, he was found worthy to evade the hand of his brother Cain.) Ad. 10862 reads "... quod etiam Leter (?) nominauit, et meruit euadere manus Patris sui Caim" (which Leter (?) having named, he was found worthy to evade the hand of his father Caim.) -JHP
I conjure ye by the name TETRAGRAMMATON ELOHIM,4 which expresseth and signifieth the grandeur of so lofty a majesty, that Noah having pronounced it, saved himself, and protected himself with his whole household from the waters of the deluge.
4. Aub24 reads "Jeoua Elohim"; M276: "Jeouà Eloym"; Sl3091: "Jehova Eloym"; K288 and L1202: "Jehovah Elohym"; Ad. 10862: "Je, Houa, Eloia." -JHP
I conjure ye by the name of God EL strong and wonderful, which denoteth the mercy and goodness of his majesty divine, which Abraham having invoked, he was found worthy to come forth from the Ur of the Chaldeans.
I conjure ye by the most powerful name of ELOHIM GIBOR, which showeth forth the strength of God, of a God all powerful, who punisheth the crimes of the wicked, who seeketh out and chastiseth the iniquities of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation; which Isaac having invoked, he was found worthy to escape from the sword5 of Abraham his father.
5. Lat. gladius.
I conjure ye and I exorcise ye by the most holy name of ELOAH VA-DAATH,6 which Jacob invoked when in great trouble, and was found worthy to bear the name of Israel, which signifieth vanquisher of God; and he was delivered from the fury of Esau his brother.
6. Aub24 reads "Eloha Vangaadat"; M276: "Eloha uangadet"; K288, Sl3091, and Lans 1202 read "Eloha Vangadat"; Ad. 10862: "Eloa Vagadat". -JHP
I conjure ye by the most potent name of EL7 ADONAI TZABAOTH, which is the God of armies, ruling in the Heavens, which Joseph invoked and was found worthy to escape from the hands of his brethren.
7. More usually the name TETRAGRAMMATON TZABAOTH is attributed to the seventh Sephiroth. -SLM Aub24 reads: "Adonay Zeuaoth"; K288 and Sl3091: "El Adonay Zevaod"; L1202: "El, Adonay, Zenard"; Ad. 10862: "Adonay Zeuahot". This paragraph is not found in M276. -JHP
I conjure ye by the most potent name of ELOHIM TZABAOTH,8 which expresseth piety, mercy, splendour, and knowledge of God, which Moses invoked, and he was found worthy to deliver the People Israel from Egypt, and from the servitude of Pharaoh.
8. Aub24: "Elohym Zeuad"; Sl3091: "Eloym Zevaoth"; K288: "Elohym Zevaod"; L1202: "Elhoim Zenard"; Ad. 10862: "Eloim Zeuord." -JHP
I conjure ye by the most potent name of SHADDAI,9 which signifieth doing good unto all; which Moses invoked, and having struck the Sea, it divided into two parts in the midst, on the right hand and on the left. I conjure ye by the most holy name of EL10 CHAI, which is that of the Living God, through the virtue of which alliance with us, and redemption for us have been made; which Moses invoked and all the waters returned to their prior state and enveloped the Egyptians, so that not one of them escaped to carry the news into the Land of Mizraim.
9. K288, Sl3091, L1202, Aub24 read "Saday"; Ad. 10862: "Siday." -JHP10. Both this name and 'Shaddai' are attributed to the Ninth Sephira, and 1 have therefore put the two invocations in the same paragraph. -SLMInstead of "EL CHAI" Aub24 and Ad. 10862 reads "Eloy"; M276: "Eloum"; K288 and Sl3091: "Elohym"; L1202: Elhoim." -JHP
Lastly, I conjure ye all, ye rebellious spirits, by the most holy name of God ADONAI MELEKH, which Joshua invoked, and stayed the course of the Sun in his presence, through the virtue of Methratton,11 its principal Image; and by the troops of angels who cease not to cry day and night, QADOSCH, QADOSCH, QADOSCH, ADONAI ELOHIM TZABAOTH (that is, Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God of Hosts, Heaven and Earth are full of thy Glory); and by the ten angels who preside over the ten Sephiroth, by whom God communicateth and extendeth his influence over lower things, which are KETHER, CHOKMAH, BINAH, GEDULAH, GEBURAH, TIPHERETH, NETZACH, HOD, YESOD, AND MALKUTH.12